Excel for the Real World: Gain the Basic Skills of Microsoft Excel
The first of a 3-part series of Excel short courses, covering everything from basic functions and interface to shortcuts and data visualisation.
About this course
In this course will learn to navigate your way through all necessary functions of the software, understand practical applications, and gain the confidence to use it for your information needs.
What you’ll learn
- Using the Ribbon. Use the Ribbon to your advantage by clicking on different buttons and customizing the ribbon to fit your needs.
- Structuring Your Workbook. We’ll cover cells in a worksheet and how worksheets fit into a workbook.
- Formatting. Get a little artsy in Excel!
- Selecting Data. Select the data and smartly “autofill” data.
- Writing Formulas. Write basic formulas and do a deep dive on the popular VLOOKUP formula.
- Listing and Sorting. Organize your data so that it’s easier to analyze.
- Using Paste Special. We will see how the Paste Special menu lets you do things above and beyond copy-and-paste.
Part 2: Excel for the Real World II: Double Your Excel Speed with Keyboard Shortcuts
Part 3: Excel for the Real World III: Create a Data-Driven Presentation from Excel to PowerPoint
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a short course?
With a short course, you’ll typically deep-dive into a specific area of interest within a broader topic.
Short courses are typically between 1 and 12 hours in duration, and in the case of guided courses (i.e. with live instructors), are sometimes spread over a number of days or weeks. Most short courses are self-paced, which means you progress through a series of videos and projects at your own pace.
Depending on the institution and the platform, you may also get a certificate of completion that you can add to your LinkedIn profile.
Is this really 100% online?
This course is completely online, so you can study from anywhere! All you’ll need is a device with an internet connection, such as a computer or a smartphone. If the course has any live, instructor-led sessions, you may need a microphone and possibly a webcam to fully participate. The instructor will make you aware of this beforehand.
What are the benefits of a Skillshare course?
- Wide selection of courses. Skillshare is a community of dedicated professionals and companies across hundreds of disciplines, from illustration to Python programming, so the courses are typically very fresh and relevant.
- See what other students think. Each course page has a reviews section, so you can easily see what previous students think of the course. Make sure you have a look before you start!
- One low fee for unlimited access. For one monthly fee, Skillshare gives you unlimited access to all of its courses. You can take any of their courses at your own pace, in any order that you like.
- Easy referral program. Skillshare offers a referral program where you share a link, and if a friend signs up, you’ll both get a free month.